Message from the Head of Secondary School
At Secondary School we offer the very best in education to students from many different backgrounds and cultures who are united by eagerness to learn and to develop under the guidance of our very dedicated staff.
What we provide is designed to meet the needs of parents and students keen to embrace an international education. In Grades 6, 7 and 8, we adhere to the British National Curriculum. Those in Grades 9 and 10 go on to complete IGCSE qualifications.
Those members of the school taking part in the Bilingual programme complete classes modelled on the British curriculum, including IGCSE, in addition to the Berlin Senate´s Rahmenplan. Thus these students emerge at the end of Grade Ten with qualifications in the British and German systems.
Grades 11 and 12 pursue the IB Diploma. Competition for places at IB level is intense, with an entry policy in place for those wishing to study the Diploma. Those who do not meet these requirements may still attend Grades 11 and 12 but would complete IB Courses or Certificate.
Our students emerge from the school as well-rounded young people who have embraced the values of British education, yet who at the same have been exposed to other approaches and traditions.
This indeed is our hope: to assist our students in becoming open-minded members of society with a tolerance of others and awareness of different outlooks.
We do not believe that education is hard labour. We do have high expectations of our students, and diligence on their part is assumed. However, we realise, too, that their development hinges on all sorts of other areas of enrichment. The performing arts, trips, after school activities, clubs and sporting competitions – these are all an integral part of the school's identity and just as important as activities in the classroom.
The pandemic has limited some of the activities we would normally provide but it certainly has not diminished our commitment to enriching the students and providing them with an invaluable education.
You are always welcome to visit Secondary or to pass on any enquiries, which I will be glad to answer.
Head of Secondary School
Learning Principles at Secondary
- Our broad and balanced curriculum is delivered using a variety of pedagogical approaches and methodologies
- Students are encouraged to consider different perspectives and to pursue their inquiries not solely relying on the teacher’s input but with an ability to work independently
- Teaching is engaging and stimulating, enlists technology where appropriate, and is enriched by interdepartmental cooperation
- Staff engage in co-curricular activities and with the parent body and local community and, when in a position to do so, support colleagues who have organised whole school events such as drama productions or house events
- Students experience BBS Secondary in a context that is humane and supportive