Leave of Absence
Pupils’ absence from school is considered authorised if the Head of School grants leave or if parents/ guardians excuse their children’s absence due to illness or other unforeseen important reason(s) in retrospect.
Absences owing to illness or other unforeseen important reasons:
- Parents/ guardians must complete the online form only, to inform the school of their child’s absence on the first day of absence before 8.30 am.
- The form must only be completed on the first day of absence.
- If the school is not informed of a child’s absence, the school will make contact with the parents/ guardians on the first day of the pupil’s absence.
Absences due to illness
If your child is absent due to illness, a doctor’s note must be submitted to the class teacher after three days of absence i.e. your child must see a doctor on the third day of absence.
It is not necessary to submit a doctor’s note if your child has been sick for only two days, but the online form must be completed on the first day of absence.
Absences which are neither communicated within the aforementioned deadlines nor sufficiently explained in retrospect will be deemed unauthorised.
Unauthorised absences from school
- the school will contact the absent pupil’s parents/ guardians on the first day of their absence.
If a pupil has 5 days of unauthorised absence from school in one term:
- The school is obliged to inform the Berlin Senat (school authorities).
- After a further five days of unauthorised absence, the Senat will be notified again.
- The Senat then informs the Jugendamt (youth welfare office) and the educational psychology service about the absence.
- The school will invite the pupil’s parents/ guardians to a meeting. The Senat will determine further procedures in accordance with the Berlin School Law (§ 126 SchulG).
Special Leave of Absence
Parents/ guardians, if requesting leave of absence for their child, must do so in writing at least 14 days in advance of their child’s absence, stating reasons. Requests for leave of absence must be addressed to both the Head of Primary and the child’s class teacher.
- The Head of Primary may give permission of up to ten days of annual leave of absence, depending on the circumstance.
Reasons for Special Leave of Absence
Leave of absence will be granted on a case-by-case basis. Pupils can be granted leave of absence for the following:
- personal reasons; e.g. doctor’s appointments
- family reasons; e.g. marriage, death of a close relative
- leave of absence before or after school holidays shall only be granted in exceptional cases.