Message from the Head of Primary School
Please let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the Berlin British School Primary School.
For over 25 years, the BBS Primary School has been providing an inclusive education to both international and local children in Berlin. The BBS Primary School is an international school of British origin, which prides itself on its high academic standards, small classes, well-qualified staff and a friendly and family atmosphere all set in the leafy suburbs of Berlin. Pastoral care is our highest priority and is promoted in all areas of our school community.
Our Primary school implements the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme known as the PYP. The programme offers an international curriculum, which addresses the whole child, catering for children’s academic, social and emotional growth through an inquiry-based approach. The PYP encourages students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning. We are a fully authorised IB World School and our programme is aligned with the Berliner Rahmenlehrplan giving us full Ersatzschule status offering a monolingual and bilingual education with dedicated specialist teachers in German, PE and Music.
We fully embrace the philosophy of child-centred education; nurturing lifelong-learners for a global world.
We are firm believers in the education of the whole child, both inside and outside the classroom, and hence our curriculum is enriched by our extensive range of extra curricular activities.
Please take the time to explore our Primary School website to gain a deeper insight into our programmes and co-curricular activities.
Head of Primary School
Learning Principles at Primary School
Our Learning Principles form our school aims at BBS Early Years and Primary and are based upon the shared understanding that learning is most effective when:
- Students are healthy, caring and have the self-confidence to learn from their mistakes, the perspectives of others and form their own opinions.
- The learning environments and educational resources that students use are accessible, stimulate curiosity and embrace the dynamic possibilities of digital technologies.
- Students explicitly understand learning intentions and success criteria.
- Students are critical thinkers and construct their own knowledge and understanding through an inquiry-based approach.
- Curriculum content is meaningful to the student and leads to interdisciplinary and conceptual understanding.
- Thinking is visible and students collaborate effectively and respectfully with their peers and others.
- Students explore and apply a variety of strategies to organise and approach their learning.
- Students receive effective feedback based upon pre-set criteria and are intrinsically motivated to learn.
- There is a broad and balanced curriculum through which students can experience success in a variety of different ways.
- Education and the ethos of the school are valued and encouraged in the family home.